This is version 3.
It is not the current version, and thus it cannot be edited.
[Back to current version]
[Restore this version]
- Cyberinfrastructure is an integrated system of computer hardware and software that includes communication, computation and information elements that supports a range of applications.
- Ecoinformatics is the study of the inherent structure of ecological information in order to create and apply computer technology for its management and analysis. Specifically, it is the science of developing computer databases and algorithms to facilitate and expedite large scale ecological research.
- Eml or Ecological Metadata Language is a content standard for documenting ecological data that is implemented using XML schema to define the structure. The basic structure of EML emerged from the work of Michener et al. (1997), in which a set of metadata (information about the data which is pertinent to use the data) descriptors specific to the ecological sciences were developed.
- Metacat is a generic XML database that allows storage, query, and retrieval of arbitrary XML documents
- xml like html, xml uses a system of coded tags <xxx>…..</xxx> to define the structure of content. Whereas html defines the look and feel of text, xml defines the content.